Sunday, February 11, 2018

Like Him...

Recently, our first grandchild was born. It was so exciting. There were several other family members at the hospital awaiting her birth with us. One of those, was her Great Grandma, Gandy. We noticed she disappeared around eight thirty but didn't think too much of it until my son, who was in the delivery room, stopped texting me.

Something was happening.

Great Grandma Gandy came strolling back to the waiting room. Took her seat across from me and said, "I think I heard a baby cry."

There were other babies down the hall so we suggested it might be one of those babies she heard but she responded, "No, I had my ear to the crack of the door...listening."

I'm sure I gasped. But honestly, I was impressed. It hadn't even crossed my mind to try and listen at the delivery room door!

She was right. A few minutes later, my son texted me and said, "She's here!"

We were buzzing with excitement waiting for someone to come and give us more information. Like how much does she weigh? Does she have hair? Is everything okay?

Then my daughter-in-law's mother came down the hall and said that they had taken the baby to NICU. She was okay but having trouble breathing. It seemed she'd inhaled amniotic fluid into her lungs.

That's when our excitement and joy turned to concern. We expected everything to go well with her birth and planned on holding her that night. Instead, we visited with everyone in our daughter-in-law's room and realized we weren't going to be allowed to see the baby anytime soon.

Everyone was disappointed but thankful she was in good hands and that our daughter-in-law was doing well. So, eventually, we called it a night and headed home. We didn't see our granddaughter  or touch her. Holding her was out of the question.

The next day, we were allowed to scrub up, wear masks and visit our granddaughter in the NICU. We could touch her but nobody could hold her except for her Momma.


It was five days after her birth when we were finally allowed to hold her. By then there was some anticipation built up. 😍

So, when I held her with nothing attached to her, it was priceless. She'd just eaten so she was content and awake. I enjoyed her so much. It was more wonderful than I imagined.
Most interesting, was observing her little features. Her eyes and mouth look like Sydney, her Momma and she has her dark hair.

She has my son's distinctive little ears and the famous "Eye toes" that run on my side of the family. (They will pick things up off the floor if you're too lazy to bend down to get something. tee hee)

Those features are my son's. But they are also mine.  I know she's like him because of what I see in her. He got those features from me and I got them from my Dad. It gave me a wonderful feeling to see those same features in my granddaughter.

Surely, our Heavenly Father feels the same way when He observes His Son's features in us. ❤

Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children. Proverbs 17:6 

No comments:

Post a Comment